Jan 31, 2010

Week 4: Brunost & Nordlys

You know that you've become acclimated to life in Norway when even the Brunost starts to taste really good...

This has been a hectic week in every way. It all started with the newspaper meeting on Monday where I claimed one article and offered to take photos for it. Things started to snowball from there and soon enough I was writing not one but two articles and taking photos at 5 different occasions. Now I love this newspaper work, and I appreciate the fact that I'm building up an impressive portfolio, but this week was a bit much. On Thursday I put in a 17 hour day, beginning with a lecture at 10 AM and finally collapsing in bed at 2AM.

Things probably would have been easier if I hadn't been sniffling all week. My cold never really developed into anything serious but it was enough to drain me and make concentrating on the work at hand harder than usual. Everyone seems to be getting sick right now, it must be the sudden arrival of the cold weather. A winter storm by the name of "Ask" blew in on Tuesday and since then the temperatures have dropped to -12C and colder. Not that I mind the cold, but some more snow would be nice also.

The kitchen in my house has been changing around a bit lately. My housemate Mike received a bunch of stuff from a friend who is moving to Oslo. Mike got a shelf, another refrigerator, a bunch of spices, tea, an electric kettle, and a food processor among other things. He is very generous with his things and allows us all to use the kitchen appliances. I'm really liking the food processor and electric kettle. So far I've made some tasty homemade peanut butter (why didn't I think of that before?) and breakfast smoothies.

Following that do-it-yourself-healthful-living theme, I planted the seeds that I bought last week. Basil, Thyme, and Chives. I've been watering carefully and providing them with plenty of light, and so far both the Thyme and the Basil have sprouted! I'm so excited, it's going to be nice to have some greenery in my room, and useful greenery at that, which is the best kind.

So I've been working busily for the paper this week. Interviewing people, and taking lots and lots of photos. I got in for free to a Chopin concert on Thursday and also went to see the Mariinsky Ballet on Friday. It's so cool to have the opportunity to do these things that I would never be able to afford normally. Both of these events were part of the ongoing Nordlys music festival which will be continuing for most of next week. After that follows the Saami week, and I hope I get to cover that one as well for the paper. One of the highlights is reindeer racing down mainstreet!

There was a laundry party on Friday also, this time hosted by the Spanish and with a Hawaiian theme. I went and hung out there for a while, there were a lot of people I knew in attendance and the party was pretty ok as far as laundry parties go.

Saturday I attended a Mormon baptism, some missionaries talked to me at campus and invited me to go. I am in no way thinking of converting, I went mostly out of curiosity since I have never witnessed a baptism by immersion before. The Mormons were all really nice people and I enjoyed their company, even if I am not in agreement with the rules and dogmas of their faith.

After that I spent a wonderful evening with my boyfriend, concocting a delicious meal out of leftovers and watching Practical Magic on TV. This morning we had a nice lazy start to the day and made waffles for breakfast. What a great way to wrap up a hectic week.

No comments: