Mar 3, 2010

The Power of Food

I love food. I will freely admit that I probably obsess over it more than most people. Not in an unhealthy way though. The majority of my time online is spent perusing various food blogs and cooking sites. I love collecting recipes and trying out new dishes. I believe passionately in the organic and sustainable production of good food for everyone. I know that the system we have now with industrial agriculture and its vast monocultures is flawed. I understand that the eating habits of the entire whole world can't be changed in the blink of a eye, but I have hope that change is both possible and doable.

Having said all this I want to advertise two up-and-coming food related documentaries that I have come across while browsing around the web. Lunch Line is about the problems with the school lunch program in America. The other film Forks over Knives is about how we can reduce the prevalence of diseases such as cancer and heart disease by limiting our intake of animal products. Fascinating stuff, I'm so glad to see these issues getting more attention in the media. Food Inc. opened many peoples eyes and now the process of education continues.




1 comment:

Nettan said...

I love food :) It's fun experimenting and trying out new recepies! The desserts are the most fun to try, though :)

I watched the forks over knives, the other one didn't want to load, or something. Forks over knives seemed interesting!