Aug 14, 2009

Day 2 & 3

My second Tromsø update. These will become more frequent now that I have my own internet connection at my dorm and I don’t have to drag my computer to the library or to the campus to go online.

In my last update I wrote about the trip to Tromsø and our first night. Here’s a short summary about the first few days.

On my second day in Tromsø we did some sightseeing. First we went to the store and bought some food, which gave us the opportunity to complain about the outrageous norwegian prices. Then we traveled into the city center and did some exploring. We visited Polaria, the polar display center, and Emily really enjoyed the seal show. Personally I liked the film about Svalbard. Then we went to Åsgård so that my mom and Emily could check into the youth hostel where they had a room booked. After that we went to dinner at a really nice chinese place downtown called Tang. Good prices and excellent food, I’ll certainly be going there again. After that we went back to Ørndalen so that my mom and Emily could pick up their bags. We said goodbye and they headed to the hostel while I went to a BBQ party that was held for all of the new international students living in Ørndalen.

I quickly made friends with a Canadian boy named Josh and a British girl named Grace. We started calling ourselves the “English speaking club” since everyone else seemed to be grouping off and speaking Italian, French, Russian etc.

The next day (day 3) I headed downtown with Josh and Grace to do some shopping and eat pizza. The pizza at Dolly Dimple’s was expensive and not all that impressive. Probably the last restaurant visit for a while since I’ll be living on a strict budget until my student money comes in the middle of september.

To finish things off here are a few pictures of my dorm room in Ørndalen. I will take some outdoor shots ASAP.




1) My bed (read couch)
2) The view from my bedroom window, not bad eh?
3) An overview of my room in general
4) The corridor, my room is the first door to the right

2 comments:

fran fry said...

Great pictures! Glad you are settled in, except for the bed, jeesh!

We are sending you some cash in lieu of the laptop the other grandkids got for an early Christmas present.
I know you will enjoy this year, at least the new friends you'll make. Maybe not the studying but you're good at that anyway. Keep blogging. I will be commenting as I can. Love, Granny

Snowyowl said...

Hi Granny! I'm glad that you've found the blog. I will try to update it as much as possible to keep everyone in the loop on what's going on here.

Thanks for the money, it will certainly come in handy. Norway is an expensive country and my budget is a little short until the scholarship starts coming in September.