Aug 23, 2009

Pierogi Party and the Black Kilt Man

Time for an all-encompassing weekend update. It's been a busy one, and I have lots of craziness to report this time. Especially the tale of the infamous "Black Kilt Man".

Our English speaking potluck parties continue following a letter 'P' theme. Last time it was pizza, this time we did pierogies. Many thanks to Adam and Jamie who did most of the cooking. The homemade pierogies were definitely a success, super simple yet delicious.

The pierogi party was just a warm up for a fun filled evening at Driv. For those of you who don't know, Driv is the local student bar and hangout in Trosmø. It's a pretty amazing place, basically it's an old fishing house out on a dock by the harbor. There's four floors and three "stages" in the building which feature DJ's and sometimes live music as well. It's cozy, but usually crowded, and the candles + drunk students seem to scream fire hazard to me.

After a quick pre-party at 11A Grace and I headed downtown, with a couple of pit stops. First to check out the science party that was going on at campus, and then an accidental bus tour of the island when we jumped on #34 instead of #20. 34 was the party bus that night, we rode into town with a bunch of drunk French students singing Polish drinking songs. Memorable.

There was a so-called "traffic light party" going on at Driv. One of those events where you dress according to your relationship status. Green=single, red=taken, yellow=uncertain. We all avoided the colour theme but had a great time anyway. There were lots of international students there and we hung out for a while and danced a bit. The dance floor at Driv is small but has great lighting and even a fog machine. The music on the other hand is the same pop/techno that you'd find anywhere in Finland. We made it an early night and took a taxi back to Ørndalen around 1:30 since it was cold and rainy and we didn't feel like waiting for the bus.

The next day Josh, Grace and I headed to Old Bodega for a British Pub Night that we had seen advertised. Turned out that it was just us, the Bodega volunteers, and a few of the members of Den Norske Mannskor. Seems like the Norwegian men's choir have the same crazy party animal reputation as they do in Finland. We met a guy in a black kilt who made Grace and I very nervous. Not only did he stare at me and label me "prey" but he talked at length about how the Norwegian vikings liked to pillage, rape, and keep warm in the winter with kidnapped British women. Grace and I spent the rest of the evening avoiding Black-Kilt-Man-Wannabe-Viking and we stuck close to Josh and our other male friends just in case. There were some other nice people at the British pub though and we even got a free Smirnoff Ice out of it all.

After that we headed down to Driv for some live music. The Lame Ducks were playing, as well as a teenage female punk band called Cyaneed. I enjoyed the Lame Ducks but Cyaneed didn't impress me much. Grace and I discovered the Vikingfjord, a tasty but treacherous vodka cooler which cost 80 NOK!

The whole town seemed to be partying in the streets when we left Driv. We saw someone drop down and do push ups in front of oncoming traffic, and ended up meeting lots of random Norwegians since Josh aka the social butterfly kept walking up to people and chattering away. We finally rode home in a taxi and got in around 4. I went to bed and expected to sleep until at least noon...

Only to be woken at around 9 AM by small children shrieking in my front yard followed by some guy singing off and on in Norwegian and playing a guitar. So much for sleeping in, what a bizarre way to wake up after a late night on the town.

Sunday was a calm day, just taking it easy, watching movies and reading. I also went blueberry picking for about an hour, I think I got about 1 L which I froze for later use.

The weekend is finally coming to a close. No class tomorrow but there's plenty to do anyhow. Laundry, shopping, studying, and a meetup with the Tromsø jogging club. I'm looking forward to finding a jogging buddy, I only hope I can keep up them in those killer hills. I went for a 8 km jog on Saturday and just about died running up some of those hills along the ski trail. I have nothing but respect for the long distance runners here in Tromsø!

Driv

4 comments:

fran fry said...

Sounds like a typical Sat nite!We went to the Barrow/Civic for a black tie concert. The music was great and they ended with a medley of Phantom music. Had an opera singer from near here and he was wonderful! Huge man with voice to match.
Weather much cooler. Love, Grannypowspolo

LazyTcrochet said...

I was going to say that it sounds like Black is a safe color to wear, just beware of the Viking man. Are you going to continue the "P" theme? Pasta, pancakes, pinot?
Have fun!

fran fry said...

So wha's happnen'?? Long silence lol Granny

Snowyowl said...

Don't worry, there will be more posts soon. I've been taking it easy the past few days. More action is expected for the next couple of days and I will post once I have something interesting to tell.