Dec 13, 2009

Holiday Spirit

It's been a few days since my last post. I've been busy preparing the house and food for our traditional yearly Thanksgiving feast. It's a bit late this year since I've been in Norway but that actually benefited us also. All of the cleaning that we've now done is also Christmas cleaning, so now all we have to do is decorate!

Dinner was fantastic, with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, brussel sprouts, gravy, and of course pumpkin pie! The turkey was local and came from a farm where the birds were happy and fed only with the farm's own feed. Most of the ingredients to the food were either our own products or things that we've bought locally. We also broke out the first bottle of our very own apple wine in honor of the party. We used wine yeast this year and the result is lovely. Nice bubbles and a wonderful smooth flavor. Good food and great company, what more can you ask for?

Then today we headed in to town to visit the old fashioned Christmas market in Ekenäs. It was very pleasant as always and we bought a few small useful things. Among them som organic olive oil soap and a traditional bundle of oat stalks with grains (kärve in Swedish, I will take pictures). We then got back in the car and headed out of town on a small twisty road to an organic farm called "Mörby" that was having a small Christmas market of their own. Mörby produces organic meat, some vegetables, and various flours and grains. We bought a pretty wreath, some gifts, and some wheat flour for holiday baking. They were also serving a lovely soup with moose meat that we just had to try, delicious!

The weather was just about perfect, -1 C with just a light snowfall to give a holiday atmosphere. It was also an unusually bright day and we even got to see a colorful sunset as we drove home. I'm all ready for the holidays now, I found my holiday spirit!

So now a little bit of relaxing after dinner and then I'm heading out for a 10k jog in the snow! My exercising has fallen a little by the wayside lately due to all the party preparations, bad me! The winter weather is approaching with speed, snow and colder temperatures are expected to reach us tomorrow. It seems like we have a good chance for a white Christmas this year.

Exercise Log:
11.12: -
12.12: -
13.12: 10 km long run

5 comments:

This is the life of the crazy french guy. said...

You baught Argentinian Wine.

Not even an European one.

You're breaking my heart, idon't know if you did it by purpose or not but it doesn't really matter, im heading to my bed to cry anyway...

sob, sob...

(sigh...)

Snowyowl said...

Would it help at all if I said that I didn't buy that wine and I don't even know who did? We actually didn't buy any wine for the party at all, our guests brought it with them.

The final tally of the wine (yes I kept track), was 10 bottles in total. Out of those 10, 3 bottles were French wine, two from Italy, one from Chile, Luxembourg (they make wine there?!), Spain, South Africa, and Argentina. So as you see, the French wine was the majority.

(Hugs) Please don't cry my dear.

This is the life of the crazy french guy. said...

okay, i forgive you my dear, you're not guilty at all. By the way, what were the french wines (if you can remember) ?

Snowyowl said...

These are the two types that we had, two bottles of the rosé and one of the red wine.

Remy Pannier
Rosé D´Anjou 2008

J.P. Chenet
Cabernet-Syrah 2005

This is the life of the crazy french guy. said...

hum, I don't know these ones... but thank you for giving me this info ! &)